Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sweet & Sour Chicken


I am very sad to say I am still on my diet, so I did not get to enjoy this delicious dish. It sure looked & smelled amazing in my house last night. Sigh. My husband & his friend were the lucky sweet and sour chicken eaters and they said this recipe is AMAZING. My husband even said it's better than take-out! Wow. We are serious about Chinese food, so that is really saying something. I can't wait to try it!

3-4 chicken breasts
3-4 eggs, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup oil {canola, olive or vegetable. Pretty much any oil will do the trick.}
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup sugar
4 T. ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. garlic powder

Heat frying pan with oil on medium heat. Cut chicken into chunks and season with salt and pepper. Roll chicken in cornstarch, then egg, then place in pan with warmed oil. Fry until lightly golden on both sides, but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a greased baking dish. To make the sauce, combine the rest of the ingredients {the last 5}. Pour over chicken. Bake 325* for 60 min, turning every 15-20 minutes. Serve with rice. To make extra sauce, combine ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to boil, then let simmer until desired consistancy. Stir frequently.


Thanks, How Sweet!!

4 comments: